Wednesday, January 27, 2010

  My thin black dress socks don't do much to prevent the cold. Normally, this isn't much of a problem as I am only traveling outside from my house to my car, and my car to my office. Yesterday, however, was not a normal work day. Yesterday, I was standing on  top of a mountain at Wintergreen Resort for the Virginia Special Olympics in the cold, cold weather.
  Do I resent being there on that chilly morning as the snow seeped in through my dress shoes and soaked my socks? Not one bit. First of all, the feeling has returned to my feet. Second, I was there to support two of our DDM residents, Mark and Peter.
  I always enjoy the time I spend with HopeTree's DDM residents because I am reminded of what amazing people they are. Most residents, or any persons with intellectual disabilities, are some of the most happy, thoughtful, and selfless individuals whom I have ever met. When I saw Mark at the finish line after one of his runs, he looked at me and met me with his arms wide open for a big hug. (His mom later told me that he's so friendly with strangers that she has to keep a watchful eye on him at all times.)
  The radiant smiles from our DDM residents are enough to make me forget all my troubles. When Peter was presented with one of his several gold medals he looked as if he had just won the lottery.
  It's little moments like these that remind me just how special these people are. I am so fortunate that there is an organization like HopeTree that can provide the nurturing care that persons with intellectual disabilities need.
  So yes, it was cold. And yes, it was my fault for not dressing properly. But once again, I found that whenever I spend time with our DDM residents it is always an enriching and rewarding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment